Allergy-Friendly Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)
Makes 6 Servings
▪ 3 Tablespoons olive oil
▪ ¼ cup grated yellow onion
▪ 3 Tablespoons fine brown rice flour (plus 1 extra Tablespoon as needed)
▪ 4 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth (Kitchen Basics is allergy-friendly)
▪ ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
▪ pinch of nutmeg
▪ ½ teaspoon salt
▪ freshly ground black pepper
▪ 2 cups rice milk
▪ 3 cups lightly steamed broccoli
▪ 1 ½ cups Daiya “Cheddar” cheese
1. Heat a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and grated onion. Cook stirring about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice flour, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes more until lightly golden and aromatic.
2. Whisk in 1 cup of the broth. Whisk well to prevent lumping. Add the rest of the broth, a cup at a time, whisking well after each addition.
3. Add white pepper, nutmeg, salt, and a couple grindings of fresh pepper. Stir. Bring to a slow boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
4. Add rice milk, and cook at a simmer about 5 minutes more.
5. Chop broccoli fine and add to pot. Cook 10 minutes until broccoli is very tender. Then, either puree in the pot using a hand blender, or transfer to a blender or food processor, to puree (and return to pot).
6. Bring back to a simmer. At this point, you may wish to thicken the soup a bit more (I like a creamier thicker soup). If so, remove about ¼ cup of soup and combine with the remaining tablespoon of rice flour, mixing till smooth. Return to pot, and stir well to combine.
7. Add Daiya cheese. Cook, stirring often, at a simmer, until cheese has completely melted. Serve hot!